Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Luck

I'm sure everyone has known that person who just always seems to come out of situations on top.....no matter how bad the situation might have been. .....The person who didn't study for the test but some how managed to get a great score or the person who talks about everyone behind their backs that everyone else just seems to love or the person that loses their job only to have a new offer the next day. I've always been intrigued by how some people actually have it like that. Is it because they are just positive thinkers? Is it some kind of gift? Or does the rest of the world have a cloud hanging over their heads that is just destined to follow them for the rest of their lives? Hmmmm.....I wonder. Well whatever it is that they, the lucky ones have.......well I don't have it. Here is a snapshot of my luck. 5th grade-The sole of my Keds sneaker decides to fall off at school. I try to fix the situation without anybody knowing by gluing the sole of my shoe onto my sock. Yup...maybe that will fix this situation. It didn't. It ended up being glued to the staircase at school. Back then, people with good luck probably had fairy godmothers that swooped in and waved their magic wands to save the day. Well where was mine? Fast forward Junior year. 9A.M. Black cat crosses my path, a driver of six months. I pay no mind. Hours later, my SUV runs out of gas on the road (You mean cars don't run on magic?) and I am in the biggest trouble of my life because I have returned from Manhattan with a new ornament on my body.......a bellybutton ring. Damn black cat! Senior year. My name is announced over the loudspeaker. I have detention and dusting library books is in my future. I have no idea what I've done. Maybe that's because I actually didn't do anything. A teacher decided to take a note that i ripped into a million pieces out of the garbage and tape it together and give me detention for the "foul language" that it contained. I can't believe it! What are the odds? At this point, I'm thinking..... for me, apparently anything is possible! November 10th 2010. I told everyone that my worst nightmare would be to have a c section. Petossin coursing through my body with almost no pain (and no baby either). 23 hours goes by. "We're going to have to give you a c section." Me : "What?! Nooooo you're not!" Doctor: "We have to you've been in labor for 23 hours." Me: "Has anyone ever stayed in labor longer than that? ". Doctor: "Yes??? But why would you want to?". Me: "Well I'm not going to sign those papers! Can't I just have more petossin?". Doctor: " Sorry. You've been on the highest dose for the last few hours.". How ironic that this was my worst case scenario and here I was and it was actually playing out! Fast forward two weeks ago. I have the worst stomach virus of the century. I am throwing myself on the floor in complete agony wondering why and how I actually caught the virus that everyone has been talking about even though I christened everything in my house with Lysol after my son came down with the nasty bug.  That brings me to Sunday night. Standing in the kitchen talking about how much I hate stomach viruses only to find myself in the same exact situation as I was in two weeks ago only 15 minutes later! How's that for coincidental bad luck? Repeat virus? Food poisoning? Whatever it was, I was definitely violently ill! To top it off though, hours spent praying to Saint Anthony and searching my house while I am completely and utterly sick have only been in vain as I open up the washer to switch my laundry and there lies my I touch, (Rest in Peace I touch), sitting on top of all of the laundry. My I touch has gotten a dramatic new makeover with it's cracked face and tiny particles of glass adorning the clothing inside the machine that is now the prime suspect in the demise of the gadget that I use for everything! Only hours before, I had flung everything off my bed in nauseating agony, pair of jeans after pair of jeans, shirt after shirt, boot, glove, sock, brush, (I touch hidden in one of the many articles that I threw!) without taking notice to what was on top in a desperate effort to actually lay on it! Who knew that hours later a tool that holds everything from passwords to my client's workouts would be on spin cycle. Now if I were one of those lucky people.....my I touch would come back to life right now. But sadly, I don't think it's going to happen.

1 comment:

  1. As my sister always says .... It's better to be born lucky than rich!! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete