Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Dream Is a wish Your Heart Makes?

For as long as I can remember, I have always been able to recall my dreams. While night time slumber may bring hours of uninterrupted nothingness for some people (though for your information, everyone dreams, but not everyone remembers them), my experience is quite the contrary. I used to work in a dentist's office in high school. I remember one night having a dream that it was raining dental tools from the sky, and I can't forget about the one where a dog stopped to give me driving directions in my dream. I understand the dental tools dream......OK...... so, I work as a dental assistant 4 days a week and spend my days handing tools to a dentist and then cleaning them in an autoclave. It makes sense that if  I'm doing something everyday, I'd eventually have a dream about it. The dog dream believe it or not makes sense too. The dog was giving me directions on how to get away as far and as fast as possible from him. I'm insanely allergic to dogs, so on a dream state level, I am thankful to that dog, because the last thing I want to happen to me is to wake up with red itchy eyes and  a rash all over my body. Last nights dream though....I just can't wrap my head around it. Or maybe I can. A friend of mine that doesn't even exist in real life was getting divorced from Harry Potter! The reason was because her evil step mother didn't approve of him. Awwwww poor Harry! I guess the evil step mother wasn't up for a game of  Quiddich! "What is wrong with me?", I think as I wake up and slide out of bed.Soon I hear a repeating sound over and over again. It's talking but not finishing the word that's being said. "Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you?".......it's ALL I hear. There in the corner is my son's talking bear....malfunctioning. "Spooky", I think to myself. Thank god it didn't happen in the middle of the night when I have my nightly bathroom run because I would have been completely freaked out! I throw my clothes on and proceed to exit my bedroom and trip on the toy. The protest is happening again. This time it's Bear, dog (what a coincidence) and a stuffed football in the morning picket. I walk over to the baby's crib and on my way am scared half to death by yet another one of his toys " DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME OR SING A SONG?!!!". My son smiles at me and turns to talk to his toys. Maybe he's telling them that the morning protest is over and that they can get back to being just stuffed animals instead of crib picketers??? Who knows. I get him dressed and ready all while singing along to his Disney baby music. As I prepare his breakfast I'm singing Winnie the Pooh. An hour later while driving in the car I find myself singing a song that one of his toys sings. "What is happening to me?". I might as well update my gym ipod with all of the baby's music because in my mind right now, the Winnie the Pooh theme song is a chart topper! What would really top off this day at this point is the whole cast of sesame street working the registers at the supermarket. My brain is now wrapping itself around this ridiculous dream. It's not  like Harry Potter delivers my paper on a magic broomstick everyday and I don't have a wicked step mother. I do believe though that our mind has a strange way of working during the body's restful state. In my restful state last night, I was watching a modern day fairy tale. Of course the divorce is not a fairy tale. But the whole step mother thing and Harry and the imaginary friend feeling heartbroken about her stepmother's overbearing ways fit the genre. My point is that your children have a way of bringing you back to the innocence of your childhood both in the waking world and in the unconscious mind. If you see enough fantasy everyday, pretty soon it will seep its way into your dreams. As I discover this realization, I watch my little guy play and smile at me as to say "I love you mommy!" and my heart melts and I am jilted into a vast blue sea of memories. I think of the dreams that I so often have that present themselves in color. The sky, the sun, the people, they seem so real and in my mind I am there. The dream.....the memory........ that makes me want to reach out and take my childhood back if I could, is the smile on my face and the feeling of complete bliss and balance and the thought that all is good in this world, like a fairy tale, as I run towards my mother with open arms and squeeze her leg as tight as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment