Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

When Your Baby Proves Your Babyproofing Wrong

As soon as my son began to walk, I knew that I was in for it. I knew before he was walking that I was in for it anyway. So naturally, I did what most parents do when those first few steps turn into a full on "charge!". I got myself to the nearest Babies R Us and purchased some baby proofing supplies. Cabinet locks were number one on my list because pots and pans had become a bit of an obsession for my little man to say the least. They worked fairly well for a while but the baby was not happy when they were installed. He had a mission. His mission was  to get the cabinet with all the pots and pans  open no matter what the cost.  Almost like it was a set routine in his day, he would yank on those cabinets right after breakfast. Shaking and  pulling on them relentlessly. I would think, "Whatever...we're babyproofed, he won't get them open." Oh, how wrong I was. One day, recently, his mission was no longer impossible. A bunch of new little friends came to visit and together, they must have hatched a plan when they were talking in that baby jibber jabber and a short time later they had accomplished what my son had set out to do for so long. Victory was his. Together, they figured out how to break the cabinet lock. My son must have forgotten about that incident which occured almost a week ago......until today......



This isn't the only baby proofing nightmare I'm having. What happens when there's no way to baby proof an object that you need in your house? These baby proofing manufacturers need to think even more outside of the box for my son. I deal with things like this:


That small plastic thing on the floor is a baby proofing device. Yup. It's a plug protector and it plugs pretty much nothing because my son has practiced the skill of pulling on everything and can now rip these out of the wall. Great! Baby with super human strength? Hmmm......I'm not sure yet, but I can say it takes both me and the doctor to hold him down during a check  up and sometimes that isn't even enough! Here is my latest predicament that I am being faced with.


This is my kitchen server. We have this lovely contraption because who ever re did our kitchen in the quickie fashion that they did before we bought our house, installed kitchen cabinets from a child's kitchen center. Well, they look nice but they pretty much fit nothing. Play food would be an ideal thing to fit in them. Hence, this server has provided us with a place for a coffee pot, toaster and a few more dishes, or whatever doesn't fit in our toy cabinets. My son began displaying his super human baby strength by showing me that he could continuously pull out and push in that middle shelf. He would stand there and just push and pull continuously, like he was going to get paid for this new job that I definitely didn't want done. For fear that he would hurt himself, I removed it. Here is what began happening.......


Really?! This isn't safe either! It gets better though!
"Perfect!", he's probably thinking. Who would have ever thought that a baby could make a kitchen server double as a rest area. Creative baby? Or mother who is seriously on top of things but has a baby who finds a way to prove that all of my baby proofing is rendered as useless! One thing is for sure though, if there is a need for children to test baby proofing items......look no further......this baby would be perfect for the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment